- Kaimai Tunnel upgrade requirements to be identifiedRead More
- Wanganui forestry businesses on trackRead More
- Arahura to be dry-docked at DevonportRead More
- Rail Safety Week 11–17 August 2014Read More
- Welcome home, AratereRead More
- KiwiRail moves Christchurch bikes to DunedinRead More
- Aratere has departed SingaporeRead More
- Celebrating 150 years of Rail in NZRead More
- CT Site Wanganui relocation to Gilberd StreetRead More
- New rolling stock order confirmedRead More
- Cat-in-the–box Chiefie reunited with familyRead More
- Palmerston North train unlocks possibility for ‘super’ freight service to ChristchurchRead More
- New Rolling Stock proves its worthRead More
- Longer log trains running on key forestry routeRead More
- New lease on life for popular wagon classRead More
- One freight train can take up to 100 trucks off the roadRead More
- Rail Ferry DrydockRead More
- Youngest train driver takes first soloRead More
- KiwiRail wins business from courier companyRead More
- Further investment in rail line between Hamilton and TaurangaRead More
- KiwiRail to begin new log service to Wellington from WairarapaRead More
- Freight growth continues but decrease in full year results forecastRead More
- Take care at level crossings along busy train lineRead More
- Dispatch - Freight Newsletter December 2011Read More
- KiwiRail continues to build a stronger foundation for the futureRead More
- KiwiRail sees strong growth at Southdown Freight TerminalRead More
- Getting closer to customersRead More
- Log carrying capacityRead More
- Order placed for more new locomotivesRead More
- Freight Handling Code (FHC)Read More
Palmerston North train unlocks possibility for ‘super’ freight service to Christchurch
Dedicated overnight rail freight services are being introduced between Auckland and Palmerston North in September.
These new services are expected to play a critical part in the plan to increase KiwiRail's share of the domestic freight business over the length of the country.
Their introduction will enable the development of a "super" service from Auckland to Christchurch and free up capacity on other premier freight services heading down the North Island Main Trunk to Wellington, Christchurch and beyond, says KiwiRail Freight General Manager Iain Hill.
"By introducing this new service offering we are able to better streamline all our premier services, making them more destination-specific. In particular it gives us the opportunity to run a pure Auckland to Christchurch service, specifically tailored to the 'just in time' market."
The introduction of the new services has been made possible by improvements to the business over the past 12 months.
'The new locomotives and wagons, and the lengthened Aratere have unlocked previous bottle necks on the network and we now have the capacity and the capability to do this, "he says.
"In the short term it means we are well set up for the peak season this year. And in the medium term it means we will be in a strong position once the rebuild of Christchurch gathers momentum and economic recovery begins."
At present volumes destined for Palmerston North, the key distribution hub for the lower North Island, are carried on a number of services which continue to Wellington and Christchurch.
The introduction of the new Palmerston North service, will enable one of the other services to be set up as a 32-wagon Auckland to Christchurch service, leaving Auckland at 10.00 pm, arriving in Wellington in time for a critical Aratere sailing, and then arriving in Christchurch early on day two.
Palmerston North is an increasingly important distribution hub for the lower North Island. The south-bound service service, which will consist of around 30 wagons departs Auckland at 18.10PM and is scheduled to arrive at 06.15AM in Palmerston North.