All vehicles carrying livestock must be fitted with effluent holding tanks in order to travel on the Interislander ferries.
- The stock effluent tank must have sufficient capacity to ensure effluent does not leak while onboard the ferries. Any vehicles that are seen to be leaking effluent may be refused passage.
- All stock effluent tanks must be empty before travel commences.
- Livestock should be adequately de-watered prior to travel. De-watered animals retain their condition better during travel as well as minimising effluent.
- Due to minimal overhead clearance onboard, vehicles must be fitted with covers to prevent animals rearing above the height of the vehicle.
- Special considerations are required for transporting lactating cattle - consult with the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) if you are unsure.
In association with MPI, Interislander has developed new guidelines regarding the transportation of stock during rough weather.
For further information on animal welfare during transport please refer to MPI’s website.